Architect: Office of Horace Trumbauer
Alice Mary Baldwin (1879-1960) came to Trinity College in 1923 to act as dean of women for the duration of the summer, later accepting the position permanently, along with an assistant professorship in history. She was named the first dean of the Woman's College when it was established in 1930. She retired from that position in 1947 and was awarded an honorary Doctor of Laws degree by Duke.
Baldwin Auditorium is a classic Georgian building of Baltimore red pressed brick and Vermont marble, roofed with Buckingham slate. The building was first used in September 1927. Originally known as the Woman's College Auditorium, the building was re-dedicated and named after Dean Alice Baldwin in 1968.
The Auditorium was renovated first in 1989 and again from 2011 to 2013. The auditorium originally had a seating capacity of 1,441, but that number was reduced to 900 in 1989, and again reduced in the latest renovations to 700 seats. The latter $15 million renovations modernized the building and restructured the interior to create a better acoustic space. The auditorium has been primarily used by the music department as a practice and performance space, with music instruction in the basement.
For Further Research:
- Alice M. Baldwin Papers
- Biographical Reference Collection - Contains biographical information on Baldwin.
- Building Reference Collection - Contains historical building information.
- A Grand Re-Opening for a Grand Old Hall - Article on recent renovations.
- Photographs related to Baldwin Auditorium on Flickr