Architect: Architectural Resources Cambridge / Little and Associates Architects
Blackwell Residence Hall was named for Blackwell Park, a tract of land purchased in 1880-1881 by the Blackwell family, the founders of the Bull Durham Tobacco Company. The land was developed as Durham County's fairgrounds and racetrack. After the Blackwell family declared bankruptcy, the land and the Bull Durham Tobacco Company passed to Julian S. Carr, a former trustee of Trinity College, who then donated the land to the institution.
Opened in 1994, Blackwell Residence Hall serves as co-educational housing. Architecturally similar to Randolph Residence Hall and built at the same time, this three story structure is built in red brick. Blackwell and Randolph are the only air-conditioned east campus dormitories.
For Further Research:
- Biographical Reference Collection - Contains biographical information on Julian Carr.