Architect: C. C. Hook
East Residence Hall is a three-story building of white pressed brick and Indiana sandstone, roofed with green tile; it complements Jarvis Residence Hall architecturally. Its construction began January 4th, 1911, the same day the original Washington Duke Building was destroyed in a fire. It was known as the East Dormitory until 1912, when it was named in honor of former North Carolina Governor Charles Brantley Aycock (1859-1912). The building initially served as a men's dorm until the opening of West Campus and the creation of the Woman’s College in 1930.
For Further Research:
- Building Reference Collection: Contains historical building information.
- John C. Kilgo Records and Papers: Contains a eulogy for Charles Brantley Aycock.
- Living Groups Reference Collection: Contains information about Duke living groups that have historically occupied East Residence Hall.
- Flickr Photographs of East Residence Hall