Architect: Office of Horace Trumbauer
Ernestine P. Friedl (1920-2015) came to Duke University in 1973, serving as chair of the Dept. of Anthropology until 1980, then as Dean of Arts and Sciences and Trinity College at Duke University from 1980-1985.
Originally known as the Science Building when it was completed in 1927, the building is the complement of the Carr Building. It contained classrooms, scientific laboratories, and a large lecture hall, as well as several offices. In 1968-1969, the building's interior was dramatically remodeled, and the Duke University Museum of Art took residence. After the Nasher Museum was built in 2004, the building was again remodeled to house the Departments of Cultural Anthropology, Literature, African and African American Studies, Latino/a Studies. The building was rededicated in 2008 in honor of Cultural Anthropology Professor Emerita Ernestine P. Friedl.