Architect: Robert W. Carr, Inc.
Richard Alan White (1935- ) came to Duke in 1963 as a professor of Botany and later became the chair of the Botany Department from 1978 to 1984. He was named Dean of Arts and Sciences and Dean of Trinity College in 1985, serving until 1990 when he was named Dean of Trinity College and Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education until 1997. In 1999, Dr. White became the Director of the Sarah P. Duke Gardens, leading the effort to make the Doris Duke Center for the Sarah P. Duke gardens a reality, while continuing the gardens' development. In the fall of 2000, Dr. White was appointed University Marshal, and returned to teaching botany. He is now a professor emeritus.
When the Richard White Lecture Hall first opened in 2001, it was among the first to offer wireless internet to students in a lecture hall setting. The main feature of the building, a 263-seat lecture hall, filled a demand for a lecture hall on East Campus for large classes. It was named after Richard White while he was still an active faculty member and administrator, an unusual gesture of the high regard and deep affection in which he was held throughout the University.