Duke University students, faculty, and staff have access to several methods of Interlibrary Requests, including Interlibrary Loan from institutions beyond Duke University, Duke Requests from libraries within Duke University, and Interlibrary Use Programs for access and borrowing when visiting a partner library outside of Duke University.
- Step 1.
- Search the catalog for Books & Media or Articles or search the TRLN shared catalog. If you see that a title is available, then you will need to borrow it through Duke Requests; however, if your title is not available, then you can request it through Interlibrary Loan using step 2:
- Step 2.
- Request a Title
- Step 3.
- Although Interlibrary Loan is available, it will take longer than normal to locate and process requested titles due to COVID-19, and some titles may not be available for physical borrowing during the COVID-19 pandemic. After you place your request, Library staff will process your request through the service that is most likely to fulfill it.
- Titles loaned to you through Interlibrary Loan will appear in your Interlibrary Loan account.
- Titles loaned to you through either TRLN Direct or BorrowDirect will appear in your Library Account.
- We will try to get any type of library material that is not available at Duke through Interlibrary Loan, but it can be difficult to borrow textbooks, audiovisual materials, entire journal volumes, and materials that are rare, fragile or in high demand.
Request titles from Duke University Libraries through the Books & Media catalog; simply click the green "Request" button next to the item you want. You can also search the TRLN shared catalog and use the green "Request" button to ask for materials from NC Central, NC State, and UNC Chapel Hill.
- Items from the Rubenstein Library can only be requested for use in the Rubenstein Library Reading Room.
Review loan periods and other information about borrowing at Duke University Libraries.
Interlibrary Use Programs
Duke students, faculty, and staff are eligible for borrowing privileges at libraries on the nearby campuses of UNC, NCSU, and NCCU.
You may have access to libraries and collections at other institutions through BorrowDirect and other partnerships; learn how.
Patrons with Disabilities
Circulation staff will retrieve materials and deliver them to you.
Occasionally, our books go missing. If you cannot find a book that is listed in our catalog:
- Fill out a search form.
- We will search for the missing item and email you with our findings.
Suggest a Purchase
Suggest a title for the Duke Libraries staff to purchase for the permanent collection; you will be notified when approved requests are available to be checked out, typically within three to four weeks
Review in-depth information about who is eligible for Interlibrary Requests and how to place, track, pick up, or renew requests.
Questions? Contact Interlibrary Request staff for Perkins, Bostock, Lilly, and Music Libraries.
- (919) 660-5890
- Box 90183
180 Telecom Drive
Durham, NC 27708-0183