The Doctoral Research Space (DRS) is a shared, scholarly workspace for Duke doctoral students located in Perkins Library. Registered students can swipe in with their DukeCard to access this quiet space for research and writing.
How to use the DRS Fall 2020
- Register for DRS access for periods of 1 year by filling out a registration form and signing a document reviewing DRS usage policies. You can renew DRS access annually through your Libraries account.
- Make a reservation each time you visit the DRS. Note: You won't be able to access the DRS unless you're a registered user, even if you make a reservation.
- Use your DukeCard to swipe into Perkins Library. Have your SymMon app and DRS reservation confirmation email ready.
- Find the desk you reserved and check-in. Wear a mask whenever someone else is in the space.
- When you're finished, clean up after yourself and check-out.
The DRS hours are the same as those of Perkins Library overall .
Who is eligible for DRS access?
Resources in the DRS
The DRS contains 27 desks equipped with lights and power outlets. Desks 1 - 8 have adjustable heights and can be used as standing desks.
A room accessible from the DRS contains an ePrinter, book scanner, and PC. It is labeled "Technology Alcove."
Your DRS registration may include access to a mobile or static locker, depending on availability. You can use these lockers to store your materials securely when you leave.
Guidelines and policies
We are committed to enforcing the following policies strictly to the benefit of the entire Duke community. Violating these policies may result in loss of access privileges.
Don't access other Libraries spaces
- DRS users will not be able to access the buildings without a reservation.
- You'll only have access to the DRS, and not the Libraries stacks or other locations.
- Use Duke Libraries Takeout to acquire materials.
- Accessing other locations in the building (other than the restrooms, of course!) will result in forfeiting of DRS access.
- Don't remain in the space once the building is closed or during facility alarms or other emergencies. By the way, Perkins and Bostock Library hours have been significantly reduced compare to previous semesters to allow for extensive cleaning.
The DRS is a shared workspace
Please be considerate of your peers! Wear a mask when someone else is in the DRS, clean your desk when you leave with provided supplies, avoid creating unnecessary noise, and return your mobile locker to its spot. DRS is restricted to registered users; don't bring un-registered friends or offer access to others.
- Library materials kept in lockers must be properly checked out.
- Take care of your keys! Locker holders who lose keys will be charged $15 (static locker) / $25 (Mobile locker) for key replacement.
- Food and other perishables may not be stored in lockers.
- Library staff reserve the right to inspect mobile and static lockers at any time.
- The Libraries do not assume responsibility for any items kept in a mobile or static locker and will not be liable for lost or damaged belongings.
We know this is an unusual semester, and there is a lot to track. If you have questions about using the DRS that aren't answered on this page, please email email@example.com .