These spaces and services are reserved for graduate students. Learn more about the Doctoral Research Space, study carrels, and Reiss Graduate Reading Room, and assigned lockers below.
Doctoral Research Space
- Shared workspace for writing and research available to a limited number of Duke doctoral students on a first-requested, first-accommodated basis
- You can request access to the Doctoral Research Space (DRS) for a period of 1 year. Access can be renewed annually.
- Lockers and mobile lockers (mobile storage cabinets) are available on a first-requested, first-accommodated basis
- Scanner, public workstation with dual monitors and e-print station in adjacent room and reserved for registered users
- To learn more, or to sign up, click the buttons below
DRS Guidelines and Policies Register for the DRS
- Duke University doctoral students can request individual and shared carrels.
- You can use a carrel for up to 2 years at a time.
- These small enclosed spaces can be used as a private work area.
- Carrels are in demand! See if they're a good fit for you by reading more below.
Carrel Guidelines and Policies Carrel Waiting List
If you have any questions about carrel or Doctoral Research Space policies or waiting lists, please contact Sonya Hinsdale.
- Any Master's or Doctoral (PhD) students enrolled at Duke University can request an assigned locker. This is yours to use for the year.
- Lockers are located in Perkins Library (Lower Level 2, Floor 1, Floor 4).
- Learn more about day use lockers at Bostock Library and assigned lockers at Lilly Library.
Assigned Locker Policies Locker Waiting List
Riess Graduate Student Reading Room (GRR)
This reading room is open to Duke University graduate students in any department. It has seating for 14 people, and features a whiteboard, natural light, and two couch chairs
Find the GRR on the 2nd floor of Perkins Library in Room 211, next to the Staff Lounge. It is near a set of elevators and a stairwell.
Direct questions about access to this space to the Perkins Service Desk.