In keeping with our mission, meeting spaces in the Libraries support the academic and research-related activities of the Duke community. Students do not have access to the Event Management System (EMS) and must have a faculty sponsor to make a reservation. For social activities, we encourage groups to explore other campus locations. Meetings must occur within regular library hours.
To request a reservation, read this policy and click “Agree” at the bottom of the page.
Making a request
- All rooms are self-service.
- A Duke NetID is required to make a reservation in the Libraries.
- There is no fee for using the library meeting rooms.
- Classes are not to be held in meeting rooms. Please contact the Registrar’s Office to schedule class space.
- All room requests are processed on a first-requested, first-accommodated basis.
- We generally cannot accommodate standing weekly meetings. Recurring meeting requests will be evaluated by date, time, and frequency.
- Requests must be submitted at least 5 business days in advance, and more lead time is preferred. You must include set up/breakdown time in your original request.
- We reserve the right to deny room requests that are inconsistent with the policies set forth herein.
- The A/V equipment in the rooms is self-service. Library staff cannot provide A/V support for your event.
- If you need help with A/V or room technology, please contact the Office of Information Technology (OIT). OIT can provide an orientation to the A/V equipment as room availability allows, Monday through Friday, 8am - 5pm. First, schedule an additional reservation for the room where you will have your event. Then, contact OIT AV (firstname.lastname@example.org) to let them know of the location and time of the orientation. OIT AV needs at least 72 business hours advance notice to conduct an AV orientation.
- OIT AV can also be contacted for on-site troubleshooting from 8am - 8pm Monday through Thursday and 8am - 5pm on Fridays using the phone number below; however, they cannot attend the event to provide constant service.
- The Libraries cannot provide any additional A/V equipment not already in the room.
- You must turn off all A/V equipment after your event.
Food, beverage, and housekeeping
- Catering is permitted in most library conference rooms for events with less than 50 people.
- The event contact is responsible for meeting caterers at the event or meeting space.
- Food must be served/staged inside the room.
- There are no provided trash receptacles. All trash and recycling must be thrown out in the central bins in the hallways.
- Ensure that tables are wiped down prior to leaving the space. Please provide your own cleaning supplies.
- Failure to clean a space after your event may result in a housekeeping fee being charged to the requesting department. Fees may vary depending on the day/time/length of the event.
- The Library does not provide furniture outside of what is already in the room. You may bring in equipment rentals.
- You may reconfigure in-room furniture yourself or contract with a Duke- approved vendor for furniture moving/storage.
- Rooms must be reset to their original configuration at the end of your meeting. Failure to do so will incur additional fees.
- Room furniture may not be placed outside of the room in the hall. This is a fire code violation.
- Please note that any damages or liability issues that occur during a move are the financial responsibility of the requesting department.
Keys and closing
- Keys to your event space may be checked out at the Perkins Library Service Desk and must be returned after your event. Ensure the door is locked when you depart.
- You must ensure that the space is returned to its original state — this may require trash disposal in the provided receptacles, wiping surfaces, moving furniture, turning off lights/equipment, etc.
- The library is not responsible for items left behind.
- You may bring wayfinding signs, but signs must not be taped to doors or walls. Instead, place signs in sign stands that you provide, and remove sign stands after the event.
- The library will not provide signage or sign stands.
Failure to adhere to these policies may result in the loss of room reservation privileges. Policies are subject to change without notice.