The Brandaleone Lab for Data and Visualization Services provides research computing for projects involving data analytics, data visualization, digital mapping and statistics. Computers in the lab are available for in-person or remote use.
Visiting the Lab
The lab is located on the first floor (map) of Bostock Library in the Edge and is open to Duke affiliates during Bostock operating hours. All users are required to wear face masks and should not bring food into the lab. For more details, see our masking requirements policy.
Remote access to Lab computers
We offer remote access to the computers in the DVS Lab using a client software called Splashtop. Email email@example.com to get added to the list of authorized users (requires a Duke NetID and password). After you have been registered in our system, follow the instructions in this PDF guide to download the Splashtop Business client software and get connected.
Tip: Many of the software programs listed below are available for your personal computer. Duke faculty, staff, and students can download and install university-licensed software.
- Statistical Analysis: Stata, R, RStudio, Python, MatLab, StatTransfer, NVivo
- Visualization: Tableau Desktop, Adobe Creative Cloud, Gephi
- Mapping: ArcGIS, ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS Online, Google Earth Pro, QGIS
- Wrangling: Open Refine, Excel
12 Dell Precision 5820 Tower workstations
- Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit
- Processor: Intel Xeon 3.7 GHz, Turbo, 8 core, 11M Cache
- Monitors: Two 24" monitors, 16:10 aspect ratio
- Memory: 32GB RAM
3 Bloomberg Financial Workstations
- Additionally, online access to Bloomberg is available through the end of 2021. See our Bloomberg guide for more details.