Architect: Office of Horace Trumbauer
Julian Shakespeare Carr (1845-1924) attended the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and served in the Confederate Army. After the Civil War, Carr became a partner of W. T. Blackwell and Co., a tobacco manufacturing firm in Durham. His donation of Blackwell Park to Trinity College, allowed the struggling school to move to Durham. Carr served on the Board of Trustees of the College, both prior to and after its move to Durham. He also served on the Board of Trustees for the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
A three-story Georgian style red Baltimore brick building, trimmed in Vermont marble, and with a Buckingham slate roof, the Classroom Building was completed in the fall of 1927. At the time, it was the headquarters for the Fine Arts Department, and contained the East Campus offices for several other departments. It was officially named the Carr Building in 1930.
On December 1, 2018, after challenges to the building's name due to Carr's open support for white supremacy, Carr's name was removed from the building and the original name, the Classroom Building, was restored. Read our FAQ about Carr and his connections to Trinity College and Duke University, as well as the decision to rename the building.
For Further Research:
- Biographical Reference Collection - Contains biographical information on Carr.
- Building Reference Collection - Contains historical building information.
- Julian Shakespeare Carr Papers
- Photographs on Flickr related to the Carr Building.