We have standalone document cameras (HoverCams) available for researchers to use in our reading room. HoverCams attach to your Mac or Windows computer and allow you to save images directly to your laptop.
1. Download and install the software
Hovercam offers their Flex 10 software for Windows and Macs. Visit their website to download the software for your operating system.
Follow on-screen installation instructions after software downloads.
2. Connect and Configure the HoverCam
Connect the HoverCam to your laptop via USB cable and open Flex 10 Software. Here is what you will see on a Windows computer. It will look slightly different on a Mac.
Click Settings on the bottom right corner of the menu.
Use the Archive tab to choose what folder you want to save your images to. If you make a change, you'll need to click save, then close and restart the HoverCam Flex10 software.
Use the Scan tab to set your file preferences:
- File Name Convention assigns file names
- Extension Format determines image type. The options are jpg, png, tif, bmp, gif,and pdf.
3. Take Images
The menu at the bottom of the screen allows you to control the camera.
Click on Snapshot to take and save the image.
Other advanced options:
- Split screen: View the live image through the camera lens alongside the still image you take
- Multi Scan: Add each image you take to a single pdf
- Zoom, Focus, Control, and Cropping: Manipulate the image before you take it
4. Review your Images
Click the expand icon on the left side of the screen to view thumbnails of the images you haven taken.
Choose Go to Archive to view the images on your hard drive.