Citing sources doesn't have to be a difficult process. Click here for guides to the most popular citation styles, with explanations and examples.
Save time by using citation managers , which help you gather citations as you conduct your research, and generate a bibliography using your chosen citation style when you finish your project. Click below to learn more about these popular citation managers supported by Duke:
Citing your sources is an important part of your research process because it enables you to:
- Give credit to the sources you consulted
- Substantiate the credibility of your research
- Connect your work to that of other scholars
- Provide your reader with sources for further exploration of the topic
Be a responsible researcher and avoid plagiarism by scrupulously following these rules:
- Don't copy, quote, paraphrase or summarize any source without adequate documentation.
- Don't purchase a paper by mail or email.
- Never allow another person to write a paper for you.
- Don't submit another person's unpublished work in your name.
Learn even more about citations by consulting our citation guide !