Finding Materials in the Hartman Center
- Nearly all of our archival collections and print materials are included in the Duke University Libraries catalog, which you can access through the Books & More tab on the library homepage. This is a good place to check first for information about our holdings.
- If you use the default search box on the Rubenstein Library homepage, you will search all of the Rubenstein Library's collections, except for material in the University Archives.
- Want to know more about searching? Take a look at our video tutorials.
Our collection guides provide in-depth descriptions of our archival collections, making it easier to find relevant primary source material. A collection guide will:
- explain how a specific collection is organized
- outline the contents of the collection, often down to the individual folders within each box
- give a history of the person or organization that produced the collection
Guides do not exist for all of our archival collections, but you can search the more than 2,000 collections that do. You can search by keyword or browse by creator or subject. To learn more about navigating finding aids, take a look at the video tutorial.
Our collections document the history of sales, advertising and marketing throughout the past 200 years. In addition to the J. Walter Thompson Company (JWT) Archives, the most comprehensive historical record of any advertising agency, the Hartman Center houses the collections of other key companies and individuals in the dynamic field of advertising and marketing. The following research guides give an overview of archival collections, secondary sources and other resources on popular research topics but are not comprehensive listings of our holdings.
- Our digitized collections provide access to digital versions of our materials as well as tools to search, browse and analyze these materials online.
- Only a small part of our collections have been digitized, but you will find a rich variety of advertisements, historic photographs, texts and more.
- To get started, you can search by keyword or browse all digitized items.
Learn more about the Hartman Center's major collecting areas and collections.